This is a tried and true recipe !! if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth, you cannot go wrong here. This is the way my Mother always made, just give a shot it won’t fail you !
This soft and fluffy lemon velvet cake has lemon extract, lemon zest, and hot lemon water to create one light, fresh lemony flavor that gets even better the next day! Give it a try.To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients::
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure lemon extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon lemon zest (from 1-2 lemons)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1/3 cup hot lemon water (hot water mixed with 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 4-6 drops yellow food coloring
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8 oz) cream cheese room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 1 ½ heaping teaspoons lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice (if needed)
- 4-5 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Thoroughly grease and flour 2 (9-inch) dark cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together sugar ,oil and shortening.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix together the distilled vinegar and lemon water and mix into the batter.
- Mix in the food coloring until your desired shade of yellow is reached.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and shake pans to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking it at the 25 minute mark and adjusting the time if needed. (see note)
- When moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake, remove cake from oven. Let cakes rest in the pans until pans are cool enough to touch. The cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Once cooled, carefully remove cakes from pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon zest.
- Mix in powder sugar until creamy, adding lemon juice to thin it out if needed.
- Stir in food coloring if using.
- Place frosting in the fridge to allow it to firm up a bit before frosting.
- Stir the frosting until it’s creamy and spreadable and frost the cakes.
- Garnish with additional lemon zest if desired.
The key is to take the cake out of the oven a few minutes before it’s completely done (when moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the center) and allow it to finish baking as it cools down in the hot pan. This timing will vary depending on your oven, which is why it’s best to check cakes before the listed done time.