The BEST homemade German Chocolate Cake with layers of coconut pecan frosting and chocolate frosting. This cake is incredible!
I think the hundreds of reviews of this recipe speak for themselves, but let me add my own testament that this German Chocolate Cake is THE CAKE that every person in my family requested for their birthday growing up. I was super lucky, being a twin, because my mom would make both of our favorites: German chocolate cake for my sister, and carrot cake for me!
The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting. My family’s version is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting covering the cake and coconut frosting on top and in the center of the cake. This cake seriously can’t be beat, especially if you’re a chocolate lover!
This show halting German chocolate cake has a gooey coconut and toasted walnut filling, a dull and super-soggy chocolate cake, and delectably rich chocolate buttercream on top! Prepare to enjoy the best chocolate cake on earth.
German chocolate cake, generally made with sweet preparing chocolate, is known to be proudly debauched and liberal. It’s really sweet without help from anyone else, yet when matched with coconut walnut filling AND chocolate icing, it makes my teeth hurt. Furthermore, that says a ton considering I have a significant piece of sweet teeth!!
I tried this formula over, and over, and over again until it was awesome! The cake just MELTS in your mouth and that icing is paradise on earth!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 1 package Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate 4oz
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
- 4 large eggs yolks
- 1 can evaporated milk 12 oz
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 package coconut 7 oz
- 1 1/2 cups pecan cookie pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F ( 177°C )Cover bottoms of 3 8” or 9” round cake pans with parchment paper. Butter sides of pans.
- Microwave Baker’s Chocolate and water in a large bowl for 1 min on high. Take out and stir until chocolate and water blend together and chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternating and blending well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into batter. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Immediately run small metal spatula around cake layers. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, remove layers from pans and move to wire racks. Cool cake layers completely.
- Spread Coconut Pecan frosting between cake layers and on top. (on sides as well if you prefer and have enough left…I did)
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
- Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large sauce pan with wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and nuts and mix well. Cool to desired consistency. Makes about 4½ cups of frosting, enough to frost 3 cake layers or 36 cupcakes.