Here’s one of my favorite side dishes to take to summer potlucks and barbecues. These brown sugar baked beans with bacon are beyond easy. The kind of easy that seriously simplifies your day. They are so yummy that I always make extra. Because it’d be a bummer to run out of these sweet beans.
Everyone loves these savory yet sweet baked beans. They will think you slaved in the kitchen all day, soaking and cooking those beans. Little do they know that this bean dish took you about 3 minutes to assemble (yes, assemble) and just a bit of time in the oven. Let’s not tell ’em the secret.
This perfect BBQ side dish consists of canned beans, brown sugar, and just enough real bacon to give it that extra yummy factor. This bean dish is a favorite side, as it’s sweet, salty, and a little bit smoky all at the same time. It’s the perfect accompaniment to burgers, more burgers, chicken, or whatever you’re grillin’ up. It’s awesome next to a super easy and delish potato salad.
- 10 slices of bacon, cut in half
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper
- Can 54 ounces of pork and beans or equivalent cans small
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar juice
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Cook the bacon about halfway through (the way you like it), and set it aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and set rack to lower middle rack position.
- In a deep skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat (or butter) over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and green pepper and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined. Let the mixture simmer for a minute or so.
- While the mixture is simmering, grease a 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
- Pour the beans into the prepared baking dish and place the cooked bacon on top of the beans.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, depending on the consistency you want. Let the beans stand for 5 minutes before serving.