A Philly cheesesteak-themed meatloaf with plenty of whiz and provolone, not to mention sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms! Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods and it’s fun to change up the flavors like in this one with a Philly cheesesteak theme!
Philly cheesesteaks are sandwiches with sauteed beef and onions with either melted provolone cheese or cheese whiz and some common extras are sauteed green bell peppers and/or mushrooms. Meatloaf generally starts out with your ground meat, beef in this case, along with eggs and breadcrumbs which, help hold everything together, along with seasonings.
The seasonings for this meatloaf begin with sauteed onions, green bell peppers, and mushrooms, which are all finely diced so that they mix into the ground beef easily. Next up is the cheese whiz, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup which get mixed in throughout the meatloaf. The final component is the provolone cheese which I like to include in two different ways!
The first way is as a solid chunk of cheese that is placed in the center of the meatloaf where it melts in the oven, turning liquid, just waiting to pour out when the loaf is sliced open! The second is that slices are placed on top after the meatloaf has cooked and broiled until it has melted all over the top of the meatloaf! Yum!
For the meatloaf:
- °225 g (1/2 lb) semi-lean ground beef
- °225 g (1/2 lb) ground veal
- °250 ml (1 cup) crumbled cheese curds
- °80 ml (1/3 c)-cooking rolled oats
- °60 ml (1/4 c) parmesan
- °30 ml (2 tbsp.) chopped basil
- °30 ml (2 tbsp.) chopped parsley
- °7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp.) minced garlic
- °1 beaten egg
- °1/2 chopped onion
- °salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- °180 ml (3/4 cup) marinara sauce
- °60 ml (1/4 cup) ketchup
- °30 ml (2 tbsp.) brown sugar
- °Select all ingredients
- Preheat oven 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, place the meatloaf ingredients. Mix with your fingertips, until a homogeneous consistency is obtained, taking care not to compress the mixture.
- Place the mixture in a 20 cm x 10 cm (8 in x 4 in) loaf pan. Level the surface.
- In another bowl, mix the marinara sauce with the ketchup and brown sugar.
- Pour over the meatloaf. Bake for 45 minutes.