1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef – leaner is ideal
½ cup yellow onion, diced
2 (1 oz.) taco seasoning packets – Low Sodium preferably
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
10 oz can diced tomato with green chilies (like Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies) – Do Not Drain
8 oz spaghetti noodles – uncooked
3 cups water
½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 Roma tomato, diced
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
Add ground beef, yellow onions, and one packet of taco seasoning.
Cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes but maybe a bit longer, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks.
Stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes (remember not to drain).
Add spaghetti and water straight into the stockpot. Add 2nd taco seasoning packet if desired.
Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer until the pasta is al dente, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and top with cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
Garnish with Roma tomato, and cilantro (if desired). Set out a variety of toppings.
Serve right away and enjoy!
• Topping Ideas
Sour Cream Black Olives
Jalapeños Salsa Verde
Fresh Tomato Diced Red Onion
• You can use any type of pasta that you like – fettuccine and linguine worked well for me. Adjust the time for cooking the pasta accordingly.
• Ground chicken, turkey, pork, or non-meat crumbles can be substituted for the ground beef. I added some chorizo to the ground beef, and it was fantastic!
• If you want a little more sophisticated presentation, put the whole taco spaghetti – once cooked – in a large casserole dish. Place in a preheated 350° F oven for about 10 minutes, then broil for a few minutes for browning.
• Store Leftovers: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. We think the leftovers are even better!
• Freeze Whole: Cool unbaked casserole; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole, covered, 55-60 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.