This recipe is a reader favorite. I have made it dozens, if not hundreds, of times. This post is packed with tons of information on how to make the most delicious salmon cakes from canned salmon and a few other simple ingredients. I’m confident it will certainly be one of your family’s favorite dinner recipes as well!
If you’ve never used canned salmon, I feel it is my duty to educate you first. And based on the sheer number of reader comments this recipe has gotten, people are very passionate about this subject.
This recipe has been in my family for many years. I changed the bland original and tweaked it a bit. Added the grated onion, lemon juice, and dill seed. Then fry in butter. My friends say it is a “Recipe to Die For!” in a manor of speaking only. The picture of my mom (June E.) and dad (Andy E.) in Chicago 1944 is because he loved salmon, as I do. We could and would eat it cold right from the can! Must be our Finnish heritage.
1 can(s) salmon, 14.75 oz
1/3 c bread crumbs
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 c chopped celery
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp butter, for frying
lemon and dill, for garnish
1. Drain salmon. Remove bones and skin.
2. In a large bowl combine salmon, bread crumbs, onion, celery, mayonnaise, and beaten egg.
4. Shape into 4 even-sized patties. Two for dinner. And two the next day for a salmon burger. Condiments of your choice.
5. In a large saute pan, melt butter on low.
6. Add salmon patties.
7. Cook on medium until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
8. I like to serve a patty with boiled, and cut up cooked potatoes, a hard-boiled egg, cream gravy, and my Candied Crunchy Dill Pickles on the side. Sprinkle a little dill seed and a splash of lemon juice on the patties.
9. My mom and dad.