This chocolate Turtle Layer Cake has three layers of chocolate cake paired with caramel buttercream and chocolate ganache. A stunning dessert! Drip cakes. Aren’t they gorgeous? This lovely 3 layer cake has both caramel and chocolate cascading in beautiful drips down the sides of this caramel stuffed cake.
This cake reminds me of that famous homemade turtle candy that we all love…but it also reminds me of a Snickers bar, which happens to be my favorite candy bar!
Tips for Making the Chocolate Cake
- This is a fool proof chocolate cake. If you’ve never made a chocolate cake before, this is the perfect place to start. We get great results, every time!
- Bake the cake in 3 8″ round cake pans. Make sure to grease them well with shortening, then dust with flour. Or you can use our cake release which helps cakes come out beautifully every time.
- Don’t have buttermilk? Here’s a substitute. For a cup of buttermilk, simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Stir to combine, then allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes. This is called clabbering. After 10 minutes, clabbered milk should appear curdled. If not, allow it to sit for another 2 minutes.
- Many of you may not want to do this step, but we highly, highly recommend to add coffee to the cake batter. The cake does not taste like coffee. The coffee only enhances the flavor of the chocolate. You can use instant coffee if you’d like.
- After you remove the cakes from the oven, let cool in pans for about 5 minutes before turning out onto cooking racks to cool completely.
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups pecans
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) bags caramels
1 1/3 cups water ( or as called for by your cake mix)
1/3 cup oil ( or as called for by your cake mix)
3 eggs ( or as called for by your cake mix)
1 (18 ounce) boxes German chocolate cake mix
How to make it:
Step1: Prepare cake mix as directed.
Step2: Pour 1/2 of the batter in a 13×9 inch pan.
Step3: Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Step4: Remove and let cool.
Step5: In a double boiler, add caramels, milk, and butter and stir constantly till melted.
Step6: Pour melted caramel over cooling cake.
Step7: Sprinkle on top 1 cup of pecans& chocolate chips.
Step8: Pour remaining batter on top and bake for an additional 20 minutes.