Slow Cooker Ham & White Beans – our favorite way to use our leftover holiday ham! Only 3 ingredients – ham, onion, and dried great northern beans. Cover with water and cook. Serve with some homemade cornbread. Comfort food at its best! #southern #crockpot #leftoverham #slowcooker #hambone
This is the last recipe from our Christmas ham. I always look forward to finishing off the ham with a nice big bowl of white beans and a slice of cornbread. This recipe is super simple. It uses a pound of dried beans and simmers all day in the crockpot with a big ham bone. The Honey Baked Ham store sells ham bones year-round (found that out on twitter). If you don’t have a ham bone, use some ham shanks, ham hocks or just some chopped up ham. I love the creaminess of white beans combined with the saltiness of the ham. This is comfort food at its best!
- °30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- °1 chopped onion
- °500 ml (2 cups) ham, diced
- °1.5 liters (6 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- °180 ml (3/4 cup) orzo
- °5 ml (1 teaspoon) Herbes de Provence (thyme, rosemary, oregano, savory, etc.)
- °250 ml (1 cup) frozen peas
- °1 can white beans (540 ml), rinsed and drainedSalt and pepper to taste
- In saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Brown the onion with the diced ham for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo, herbs de Provence and peas.
- Simmer un-covered for 6 to 7 min.
- Add the white beans and season.
- Extend cooking for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy !