Simple and easy ! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making I came across this recipe for Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole, as I was trying to find a way to use up some Three Cheese Johnsonville Sausage I had. I have to say…..it was TASTY! My kids all love it and ate every bit! I can’t say that it’s a healthy recipe, but it is good ‘ol Comfort food! It was fairly simple and I’ll bet not too hard on the budget. There have been various Sausage coupons out there lately as well.
- 3 cups Idaho potatoes peeled, boiled, and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch “half moon” cuts. Cook in a cast-iron frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2-quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted, and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
- Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).